When the armed conflict in Abkhazia ended some twenty years ago, there was not that much to do in the new country. It was dominoes that came to the rescue and the game grew more and more popular.
The Domino Effect follows the Minister of Sports of Abkhazia, Rafael Ampari in his at times humorous efforts to organise the World Dominoes Championships. He dreams the event would put his nation on the map.
Gradually taking the centre stage is Ampari’s Russian-born wife Natasha, who tries to find her place in a foreign culture. Work is hard to come by, and the locals won’t easily befriend a stranger.
What will come of the couple? Will love endure, or will hopes for a shared future fall like dominoes?
Spiced with splendid supporting characters, The Domino Effect won three awards at Krakow Film Festival.
Text: Viivi Pietiläinen / Translation: Tapio Reinekoski
- Name in Original Language: Efekt domina
- Director: Elwira Niewiera, Piotr Rosołowski
- Country: Poland
- Year: 2014
- Length: 76 min
- Age limit: S
- Format: DCP
- Cinematography: Piotr Rosołowski
- Editing: Andrzej Dąbrowski, Karoline Schulz
- Music: Otter Films, Zero One Film
- Kinopalatsi 8: Thursday 29.1. at 21:15